The UK Roundtable on Climate Change and Poverty has published its first report. Jan 2009
4 February 2009
The report recommends:
- Improving household energy efficiency, reducing both emissions and fuel poverty.
- Planning for an equitable transition to a low carbon economy; paving the way for the UK to capitalise on the opportunities and reap the benefits of the new low-carbon economy including the creation of new 'green collar' jobs.
- Promoting sustainable public service provision, including low-carbon food procurement for hospitals and schools.
- Improving the existing housing stock; moving towards low carbon design in housing and urban development.
- Investing in a public transport system, which is better for the environment and more equitable.
The Roundtable on Climate Change and Poverty in the UK are:
- nef (the new economics foundation)
- Oxfam GB
- Friends of the Earth
- The Royal College of Nursing
- Climate and Health Council
- WEN (Women's Environment Network)
- Capacity Global